Saturday, November 20, 2010

About Me

I am a geek with a head for details and a voracious appetite for information. Although I work with computers, my interests can touch on anything. The topics that most concern me are issues of sustainability, creation of communities, creation of wealth, distribution of wealth, and health. It is on this last topic I have done the most research and for good reason. Health: the food we eat and the food we buy, touches on every other aspect. And health care threatens to become a major crisis in the US.

Despite an abundance of scientific information, our health is slowly detiorating, with not only incresing rates of CHD, diabetes, and obesity, but things such as autism, multiple sclerosis, and inflammatory bowel disease. Yet in the time of our great grandparents such diseases rarely occurred. Most of us try to eat healthy. In fact, beyond a certain age, I would say the majority of us. There’s a disconnect there and that thread is one of many I have been pulling on for the past several years. I’ve completely changed my mind about what’s healthy and what causes disease and no longer think the conventional wisdom is in the public’s best interest.

I am part of a growing group that is questioning much of the conventional wisdom we’ve been handed on health. Unsuprisingly, a lot of it comes down to real food. Only real food provides the basis for real health. But it goes deeper than that. Modern nutritional dogma is deeply ingrained in our culture. There is a lot of work to do not only sorting out fact from myth, but digging into the truly complex puzzle of human health. There is too much to outline here how badly conventional widsom is failing us, but suffice it to say the rabbit hole goes deep. Anyone truly interested in their own health has a learning curve ahead of them.

One of the greatest travesties modern science and culture is the dismissal and destruction of ancient wisdom. The wisdom of our ancestors… the wisdom of our grandmothers and great-grandmothers… is almost completely whiped out, not to mention the wisdom of countless cultures across the globe. They may not have understood things in the sense of molecules and metabolic cycles, but they knew how to prevent and remedy a great number of problems the modern medical community seems to be unable to treat.

This new community of online researchers, this growing group that is stepping outside the medical establishment, does not have all the answers. But the debate is open and in a lot of ways, there is a higher standard of evidence. The debate on the statistical methods used to interpret data from the China Study, and the independent interpretations that have been done are a good example. The discussion that occurs on good blog sights seeks to truly get to the heart of a lot of problems. And you’re more likely to be treated with respect and get a questioned answered.

The science of health is messy and you are recommended to use your critical thinking skills. If you have questions, ask them. If something doesn’t make sense, dig into it.

I don’t intend to be a comprehensive source of health and wellness information. This blog is a sounding board to elucidate my own ideas. I will mostly cover topics I don’t see fully covered elsewhere, or topics I just want to add my own perspective on. To begin your own search for health, I recommend skimming through the “Blogs I Follow”.

No comments:

Post a Comment