Saturday, September 10, 2011

RBTI One Week Assessment

I have been doing RBTI for about six days now. So far this doesn't mean much. I don't have an actual set of recommendations to follow yet other than continue the water flush and then redo the tests. So there's nothing geared specifically to where my body is at. I also may still be adjusting or maybe don't have some of it down quite yet.

Body Temps
Body temp is axillary (measured under the armpit). 97.8 should be lowest. 98.0 or so should correspond to 98.6 oral. It's important to keep body temp up as that indicates everything is running correctly.
These have stayed solid. Typically I have measured around 97.5 but since starting this protocol, I have had two days at 98.0 upon waking. I also felt warmer and instinctively knew the thermometer was going to read higher.
So far I have to say this program does not affect body temp as long as you are eating the right foods and eating enough. My hunch on body temps is still that the starchy whole foods help the most: sweet potatoes, wild rice, etc.

Blood Sugar
Being measured only infrequently. I only test fasting as too many things affect post-prandial for it to be a useful measurement. My ideal is 85 or below as it shows excellent blood sugar control and energy regulation. Two separate measurements were at 86 and 83. Again my belief here is that this has more to do with how much process foods are limited and how much complex carbs in whole form are provided in the diet.

Body Composition
It seems pretty clear by this point: post RRARF* belly fat is gradually going away. I attribute this mostly to the eating pattern. It seemed to start when I originally changed to the large lunches. This was prior to initial consult and begninning of water flushes, when sea salt was supposedly shutting down my system. Since the body temps are the same or even higher, I must assume this is a true fat-burning mode and not a starvation or famine (diet) state. I am not counting calories and am eating what I feel like. I have been trying to get a lunch-time dessert every day to keep the noon meal calories up, which is something I noticed the first few days. It is easy to undereat at lunch until you become adjusted. I also noticed though after a few days my appetite was greatly diminished, so I went with that impulse, still trying to eat a bit extra at lunch. Since this did not affect my body temp, it was probably reduced appetite because my body (and not me) has decided to dump fat.

The Crud
The main condition I'm trying to overcome, described in my first RBTI post. It's difficult to describe directly, so I suggest you read that. Hard to tell how much improvement there's been. Maybe a very slight improvement, but it's compounding with effects of insomnia, so generally I still feel pretty cruddy. I'm hoping this will clear up.

Sleep Quality
Not ideal, let's put it that way. I may still be in an adjustment period, or it may be I need to wait until I get a better reading from the tests, and thus more specific recommendations. Or maybe it's the light dinners. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

*RRARF is a program designed by Matt Stone to help people out of the starvation mode typical to most diets. RRARF stands for Rehabilitative Rest and Aggressive Refeeding, a period where you explicitly eat more food and get more rest and less exercise. It is meant to be temporary and only done to get the metaboism fired up again and the body rebuilding its lean mass. Many people, depending on previous diet history, gain belly fat following this protocol. This is seen, based on studies like those of Ancel Keys, as a normal physiological response and possibly necessary for those in a starvation mode. The metabolism boost and lean mass gain are necessary for long term weight loss and maintanence but the body may hold on to the fat for several months. It is not known yet if there is a way to restart the metabolism without body fat gain for people that are in a severely dieted state.

No comments:

Post a Comment